Review: Volume 2 hosts the famous Phoenix saga, and only continues the greatness from Volume 1.
Disc 1 opens with “Red Dawn,” which features Omega Red, Darkstar and the return of Colossus. Meanwhile, Xavier (with his working legs) and Magneto are trapped powerless in Savage Land, where they’ll stay for quite a few episodes. This episode also served as a reminder to me of how sweet Storm’s powers are. “Repo Man” is an episode about Wolverine’s past, featuring his old team, Alpha Flight. “X-ternally Yours” gets into the origin of Gambit and Thieves vs Assassins. We also see Remy’s ex-wife Bella Donna, and of course, we get to watch him pick Rogue over that crazy hussy. In “Time Fugitives (Part 1 & 2)” we catch up with Bishop and Cable as they try to stop a mutant plague. “A Rogue’s Tale” catches us up on Rogue’s origin, including her permanently acquiring Ms. Marvel’s powers. “Beauty and the Beast” centers around our favorite fuzzy blue mutant, Beast. We also get to see Garydon Creed’s mental breakdown this episode when Wolverine so kindly reminds him of who his daddy is (athough they do call him Graydon Creed Sr. instead of Victor Creed, but I get they were doing it to help us 10 year olds get from point A to point B on that one). “Mojovision” is a cracked out mess of an episode that I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with. Mojo and Longshot are so ridiculous and over the top corny, but it’s an entertaining trainwreck. I don’t know how else to describe it. Plus, Longshot has a glorious blonde mullet and you get to see Spiral.
Disc 2 opens with Reunion, where we get back to Magneto and the Professor under attack in Savage Land and Mr. Sinister trying to harvest Jean and Scott’s goods. We also get to see a lot of side characters in this, including the ridiculousness that is Brain Child (or Brrrrraaain Chiiiilllld as he calls himself). And, of course, we see our first on-screen Gambit/Rogue kiss *fangirl scream*. “Out of the Past” is the two-parter with Lady Deathstrike and the Alien force. Also, Gambit and Wolvie in cut-off shorts and no shirts. HA! Last on Disc 2 is the 5-parter Phoenix Saga. Do I even need to explain the epic-ness?Princess Lilandra, D’Ken, the m’kraan crystal, Erik the Red, the StarJammers, Banshee’s hideous power, PHOENIX! I mean, come on! Just go watch it!
Best Episode: “The Phoenix” saga, of course. And “Reunion” was always a memorable one for me.
Episode You Can Skip: “Repo Man” – seems like a filler episode.
Fun Easter Eggs:
- In “Repo Man,” when Jean is trying to locate the Professor on Cerebro, we see come other well known characters, such as Nightcrawler, Psylocke, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch.
- I never noticed this before – but in “Reunion” when the X-Men lose their powers and Wolverine exclaims that there’s nothing mutant about his claws, he screams out in pain when they come out. Nice attention to detail.
- Jean – “Wolverine! I felt him… such pain.” Gambit – “Man been a pain from the get-go, chere.”
- Wolverine – “If that ain’t Morph, I’ll eat the BlackBird!”
- Gambit to Rogue – “Gambit never say dis to anyone before, but Gambit loves you.” Hahaha, so sweet… and weird.
- Sinister to Rogue – “So beautiful, yet so strong.” Wolverine – “Well, I always did think I was kind of cute. Nice of you to mention it.”
- Beast – “My Kingdom for a Rosetta Stone!”
- Professor – “It was here!” Storm – “What was here, Professor?” Professor – “I don’t know!” hahaha I don’t know why but that part cracks me up.